Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hardest race ever!


The last few races I've taken part in have turned out to be mechanically challenged races. This occasion turned out to be a physically challenged race in a big way!

The mountainous country side of Clarens was the setting for the forth leg of the 2010 MTN national marathon mountain biking series. Heavy rain throughout the day and night before made for a very muddy race. As usual the top contenders from the MTN and Garmin teams were on the start line. This is one of my main reasons for traveling to compete in these races. I know I'm not up there contending for the top positions (yet...), however, I strongly believe that the only way to improve and get there is to race against the best and gain valuable experience along the way. Like any business or career, you have to invest something for it to grow.

The race started out mainly on gravel farm roads for the first 10 to 15km. At this point that was pretty much the end of the gravel roads for the rest of the 100km as we headed towards the rough mountainous areas and the Golden Gate Nature Reserve.

The terrain was so rough almost to the point of unridable on a hardtail mountain bike! After riding on this terrain up a very steep hill and then along the top for a while I really needed a short break in the terrain to give my back and most of all my hands a rest. However, this much needed little break in the rough terrain never came and we then started going downhill. At one point while going down my incredibly sore hands and the rough bumpiness got too much to handle and I lost control and came off. Fortunately, myself and my bike (except for a bent break leaver and straightening the fork and steam) were ok and I was able to get back on my way without much delay.

When I got to the tech and feeding zone I was delightfully assisted by my number one girl and supporter who had everything from chain lube, coke and anything else right at my finger tips! This allowed for a quick efficient stop and I was away on my bike in no time!

After about 80km and 4-hours I hit the wall. My entire body was aching and every bump felt like I was being dropped from a building. Every pedal stroke felt like I was trying to tow a two tonne kart behind my bike. With this came the last monster climb! Hence it was a very long struggle between myself and my bike. Impressive as it is, although encouraging to know that the winner of the race Kevin Evans, said that he only just managed to ride up this final climb. I eventually made it to the top and just had to get down the otherside into Clarens, which involved a 300m portage section down some very large sort of stairs.

I eventually made it to the finish in a not so happy, broken and muddy state! I was out there for a very long time of 5hrs41min and finished in a position I’m not at all happy with of 24th. Without much sense of humor, my number one girl and supporter did an amazing job of encouraging and uplifting me. This was well needed as it has been a very hard three months without much race satisfaction due mostly to mechanical failures and this time to physical inability.

It is now time to put these last few months behind me and focus on some solid training for the next few weeks before the next race being the 100 Miler!

I must admit that this race as well as doing the ultra marathon in Harrismith last year, has provoked some self questioning about my equipment. I am definitely considering a duel suspension bike and possibly a 29’er before I compete in another ultra marathon in the Free State again. This would however, have to be on hold until sometime next year. Time to start saving and researching…

No comments:

Post a Comment