Thursday, October 7, 2010

Race Report: Sunday 3 October: De Grendal 45km

Race number two of the weekend started at De Grendal Wine Estate on the Table View side of the Durbanville Hills area. With a fairly fast start on mostly flat and downhill roads of the estate we soon encountered a thick patch of sand, which immediately split the field into pieces. From there we went straight into the climbing that would eventually take us up to the masts and over the other side into the Magic Forest trails.

The climbs were very steep with very loose rocky surfaces and one section that was impossible to ride. It was only Renay Goustra (Mr Price GT), Domonic Calitz (Mr Price GT) and myself that got away early on up the climbs. I dropped my chain at one point and had to work quite hard to quickly catch back on. Renay managed to gain a small gap on Domonic and I towards the top of the climb before entering the long single tracks of Magic Forest.

I lost contact with Domonic through this long stretch of single tracks. After leaving the single tracks I could see him ahead for a while and kept a close eye on the gap. I was able to close it slightly as we climbed back over onto the De Grendal side again. We then rejoined with the shorter distance routes where I lost sight of him and was unable to close the gap any further.

I was happy with how I felt during the race and finished in 3rd place. It was good to be on the podium!

No comments:

Post a Comment