Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tokai Mast Challenge

A one-way race towards the heavens would always be dreaded by most people, however, the number of participants on the start line for the First Ascent Tokai Mast Challenge seem to grow every year! There's something about us human beings when it comes to physical punishment and a good challenge...

I definitely fall into this category of being up to a challenge and pushing my body to its physical limit. Defying gravity is never an easy task whether it be running or on a bicycle and often it becomes more of a mental challenge. Every gram takes its toll and you find yourself cursing those extra calories you've been indulging in especially in my case over the past few weeks after the ABSA Cape Epic. I was therefore a little nervous this time round as I had a title to defend and not feeling in as good shape as I was on the start line at the foot of the mountain a year ago.

I was pushed quite hard by some of the other riders in the first few kilometers until I heard no heavy breathing or changing gears behind me and I knew I was on my own. I got to the start of the tar road in a fairly decent time only a few seconds slower than last year. But then the race is truly decided in the final 5km as the gradient kicks in and the legs start screaming at you. Here I took some strain and had to push hard to finish in a time of 42m04s a long way off last years 40m26s. However, it was enough to lift the trophy once again and I was delighted and very relieved to regain the title! Next year hopefully I will achieve my goal of breaking 40min...

No comments:

Post a Comment