Monday, February 15, 2010

Ideas and plans


Sitting with my computer in front of me on Friday night just finishing off a few necessities before bed time, I was wondering if I should write up something on my blog. With only 5-hours until I had to wake up at 2:30am to travel 2hrs30min to Gansbaai for the start of the Lighthouse 2 Lighthouse 2-day mountain bike race, I decided against a write up and resorted to a quick tweet instead.

I don't think I've ever woken up that early for a race before and the entire week leading up to the race I was still in doubt whether it would be possible! I kept convincing myself that once I'm there it will great and one of those things where I'd say I'm glad I did it. Most sensible people spend the Friday night out in Gansbaai, however, my girlfriend Jayde really wanted to come along and support me, which I'm always very grateful for! She was having to work until midnight on Friday so the option to go spend Friday night in Gansbaai was out of the question.

So Saturday 2:30am it was! A quick get up out of bed (by my standards, which more likely resembles a very slow get up out of bed to most people), trusty Jungle Oats and fruit juice for breakfast (more like a midnight snack!), pack the car and hit the very quite roads in the direction of Gansbaai.

It turned out to be a wonderful experience and one that I'm glad I did. In the end, apart from the wonderful support and great company from Jayde, it was a lot more convenient waking up at 2:30am and traveling through to Gansbaai and having her there than it would have been to not have had her around to help me out with logistics and I have to admit, getting ready on race mornings!

No comments:

Post a Comment